понедельник, 10 сентября 2018 г.

Travelogue about the island of Crete. The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.


"The true son of the common faith". Travelogue about the island of Crete. The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.



The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

«Истинный сын по общей вере». Путевые заметки об острове Крит. Храм Святого Тита. Ираклион.


The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.


I think I will not be mistaken if I say that any traveler who has visited Heraklion in Crete, if not went inside, then at least passed by the Church of the Holy Apostle Titus.
Я думаю, что не ошибусь, если буду утверждать, что любой путешественник, побывавший в Ираклионе на Крите, если не заходил внутрь, то, по крайней мере, проходил мимо Храма Святого Апостола Тита.  







The temple was built to replace the destroyed by Muslims temple in Gortyn at the direction of Nikifor II FokI, commander, and later the Emperor of Byzantium, who liberated the island from the Saracens. Gortina was the first city in Crete to adopt Christianity. The formation of Christianity in Crete is associated with the name of Titus the Apostle of the seventy – a disciple of the Apostle Paul. The Apostle Titus became the first Bishop of Crete. He was appointed to this post by the Apostle Paul. From the Holy Scriptures, we know that Titus was fulfilling his mentor's instructions, establishing in the faith local churches. The apostle Titus executed the commissioner - he founded nine dioceses in Crete, died in a very old age and was buried in the city of Gortina. In the 6th century, a majestic basilica was built in his honor, and here his holy relics were kept. After the devastation of the island by the Saracens in the IX century, the relics of the Apostle Titus left one head.
Храм был построен взамен разрушенного мусульманами храма в Гортине по указанию Никифора II Фоки, военачальника, а в последствии и императора Византии, освободившего остров от сарацин. Гортина была первым городом на Крите, который принял христианство. Становление Христианства на Крите связано с именем Тита – апостола от семидесяти – ученика апостола Павла. Апостол Тит стал первым епископом Крита. На этот пост он был поставлен Апостолом Павлом. Из Священного Писания мы знаем, что Тит выполнял поручения своего наставника, утверждая в вере местные церкви. Апостол Тит исполнил порученное - основал на Крите девять епархий, умер в глубокой старости и был погребён в городе Гортина. В VI веке была возведена величественная базилика в его честь, здесь же хранились его святые мощи. После опустошения острова сарацинами в IX веке от мощей апостола Тита осталась одна глава.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.


A Gentile of the original, Titus was converted to Christianity by the Holy Apostle Paul, who calls him "the true son of the common faith" (Titus 1: 4). A few years later, about 49 years later, they met again in Antioch. Paul took him and Barnabas with him to Jerusalem to report to the apostles in his missionary work among the Gentiles. From that time on, he accompanied the Apostle on missionary journeys and became one of his closest associates.

Язычник изначала, Тит был обращён в христианство святым апостолом Павлом, который называет его «истинным сыном по общей вере» (Тит 1: 4). Несколько лет спустя, около 49 года, они вновь встретились в Антиохии. Павел взял его и Варнаву с собой в Иерусалим, чтобы отчитаться перед апостолами в своей миссионерской деятельности среди язычников. С этого времени он сопровождает апостола в миссионерских путешествиях и становится одним из его наиболее близких сотрудников.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.


Titus was with the Holy Apostle Paul in Rome during his first imprisonment and accompanied him on his return journey to the East. Moored to the island of Crete, they preached the Good News together in many cities. Paul, who was to continue the voyage, left Titus to complete the construction of the new Church and for this to place a Bishop in each city (Titus 1: 5-7). Titus met strong opposition, especially from the Jews, and wrote to Paul. He in his answer encourages Titus to teach everything that is in accordance with" sound doctrine "(Titus 2: 1), and his behavior to set an example, and" in teaching purity, sedentary, intact, the word sound, unrecognized "that his opponents, the distributors of" Jewish fables... averse from the truth", could not say anything about the disciples of Christ thin, being filled with confusion (see: Titus 2: 7-8 and 1: 14).

Тит находился со святым апостолом Павлом в Риме во время его первого заключения и сопровождал во время обратного путешествия на Восток. Причалив к острову Крит, они вместе проповедовали Благую Весть во многих городах. Павел, который должен был продолжать плавание, оставил Тита завершать устройство новой Церкви (около 63 г.) и для этого поставить в каждом городе епископа (Тит 1: 5–7). Тит встретил сильное сопротивление, особенно со стороны иудеев, и написал Павлу. Тот в своем ответе побуждает Тита учить всему, что находится в соответствии «со здравым учением» (Тит 2: 1), и своим поведением показывать пример, а «в учительстве чистоту, степенность, неповрежденность, слово здравое, неукоризненное», чтобы его противники, распространители «иудейских басен… отвращающиеся от истины», не могли ничего сказать об учениках Христовых худого, будучи исполнены замешательства (см.: Тит 2: 7–8 и 1: 14).


The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.


After the martyrdom of the Apostle Paul, Titus returned to Crete, where he was received by the inhabitants with glee, but soon learned that they had retained pagan customs. Then the Apostle threw the statue of Artemis on the earth in the name of Jesus Christ. In the face of this miracle, more than five hundred pagans cried out, "Great is the God preached by Titus!"and they believed in Christ. Saint Titus, having established the seat of the Episcopal pulpit in Gortyn, appointed nine new bishops for the main cities of Crete. He asserted the true faith both by word and by miracles. When the Apostle was 94 years old, his death hour came. The Bishop's abode was suddenly filled with a fragrant cloud, and many angels appeared to help him. With his face shining like the sun, Holy Titus betrayed the spirit to God, saying these words: "Lord, I have kept the faith and established Your people in your fear. Take my spirit now!» When his body, in the white vestments, carried to burial, pagan temples collapsed. Later at his grave healed many possessed.
His body was laid in the main temple of the city of Gortyna, where his pulpit was located. There he was revered for centuries as the protector of the Cretan Church.

После мученической кончины апостола Павла Тит вернулся на Крит, где был принят жителями с ликованием, но вскоре узнал, что они сохранили языческие обычаи. Тогда апостол поверг статую Артемиды на землю именем Иисуса Христа. Перед лицом этого чуда более пяти сотен язычников вскричали: «Велик Бог, Которого проповедует Тит!» – и уверовали во Христа. Святой Тит, установив местопребывание епископской кафедры в Гортине, поставил девять новых епископов для главных городов Крита. Он утверждал истинную веру как словом, так и чудесами. Когда апостолу исполнилось 94 года, подошёл его смертный час. Жилище епископа внезапно заполнило благовонное облако, и множество ангелов появились помочь ему. С лицом, сияющим как солнце, святой Тит предал дух Богу, произнеся такие слова: «Господи, я хранил веру и утвердил народ Твой в страхе Твоём. Прими ныне дух мой!» Когда его тело, в белом облачении, несли к погребению, языческие храмы обрушились. Впоследствии у его могилы исцелилось множество одержимых.
Его тело было положено в главном храме города Гортины, где находилась его кафедра. Там он почитался в течение многих веков как защитник Критской Церкви.


The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.



When the island was liberated from the Arab invaders, the capital was moved to Candia (Heraklion), and there was built a new Cathedral in the name of St. Titus. This Church remained the main place of pilgrimage in Crete throughout the dominion of the Venetians (1210-1669). During the Venetian rule the Cathedral was the Cathedral of the Catholic Archbishop. During the Turkish rule the building of the temple was converted into a mosque. After the Turkish minority left Crete in 1923, the Cathedral was again consecrated as an Orthodox Church and the minaret was converted into a bell tower. The fact that the temple passed from hand to hand, determined the uniqueness of its architecture. . In 1966, cancer with the relics of the Holy Apostle Titus, taken from Crete to Italy by General Morosini shortly before the conquest of the town by the Turks, was returned again to the island from Venice.  Currently, the relics of the Apostle are stored in the Cathedral of St. Titus in Heraklion, to the left of the entrance.
Когда остров был освобождён от арабских захватчиков, столица была перенесена в Кандию (Ираклион), и там был построен новый собор во имя святого Тита. Эта церковь оставалась главным местом паломничества на Крите на протяжении всего владычества венецианцев (1210–1669). В период венецианского господства собор был кафедральным храмом католического архиепископа. Во время турецкого владычества здание храма было переоборудовано в мечеть. После того как в 1923 году турецкое меньшинство покинуло Крит, собор вновь был освящён как православный храм, а минарет переделан в колокольню. То, что храм переходил из рук в руки, определило уникальность его архитектуры. В 1966 году рака с мощами св. апостола Тита, вывезенная с Крита в Италию генералом Морозини незадолго до завоевания городка турками, была возвращена опять на остров из Венеции.  В настоящее время мощи апостола хранятся в Соборе Святого Тита в Ираклионе, слева от входа.


The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

The Church Of St. Titus. Heraklion.

понедельник, 27 августа 2018 г.

Travelogue about the island of Crete. Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion


Travelogue about the island of Crete. Sea-Fortress. Heraklion


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion



Путевые заметки об острове Крит. Морская крепость. Ираклион.


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion









The haven of Heraklion was probably already in use as a fortified harbor during the Hellenistic period. It was protected by a windward breakwater from the NW and a leeward breakwater from South.

Бухта Ираклиона, вероятно, использовалась в качестве укреплённой гавани уже в Эллинистический период. Она была защищена волнорезами с наветренной стороны с северо-запада и с подветренной стороны на юге.

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion




At the eastern edge of the windward breakwater there was a beacon-tower, which was probably reconstructed, along with the rest of the fortification enceinte, in the 7-th or 8-th c.A.D., to confront with the Arab threat. It was probably the same tower which the Venetiants called Castellum Communis; they only altered its upper part by enlarging the battlement area, according to the western tradition, as one can see on sketch made by Christoforo Buondelmonti in 1415. A smaller tower, at the edge of the leeward breakwater, depicted on engravings of the 15-th c., completed the defense of the harbor’s entrance, at least from the Venetian period on.

На восточной оконечности наветренного волнолома находилась башня маяка, которая, вероятно, была реконструирована вместе с остальной частью фортификационного сооружения приблизительно в 7-м или 8-м веке нашей эры, чтобы противостоять арабской угрозе. Вероятно, это была та самая башня, которую венецианцы называли Castellum Communis; они только изменили её верхнюю часть, увеличив площадь зубцов, согласно Западной традиции, как это видно на эскизе, сделанном Христофором Буондельмонти в 1415 году. Меньшая башня, на краю подветренного волнореза, изображённая на гравюрах 15-го века, завершила оборону входа в гавань, по крайней мере, с венецианского периода.

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion




Castellum Communis was badly damages by the earthquake of 1508; in 1523 it was decided to be demolished and replaced by a fortress designed according to the principles of the bastioned defensive system (fronte bastionato), following thus the general planning for the city’s new fortification enceinte, which was already decided to be constructed in 1462. Respectively, a much smaller fortress seems to have been constructed at the edge of the leeward breakwater, as one can judge by the wooden scale model of the harbor of the year 1614; the small fortress was demolished in 1936.

Castellum Communis сильно пострадала от землетрясения 1508 года; в 1523 году её было решено снести и заменить крепостью, спроектированной в соответствии с принципами бастионной оборонительной системы (fronte bastionato), следуя, таким образом, общему планированию нового укрепления города, которое уже было решено построить в 1462 году. Соответственно, гораздо меньшая крепость, по-видимому, была построена на краю подветренного волнореза, о чем можно судить по деревянной масштабной модели гавани 1614 года; небольшая крепость была разрушена в 1936 году.

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion




The construction of the large fortress begun before 1525. Since the new building was much larger, the existing rocky foundation had to be enlarged. To achieve that, old ships loaded with the rock and stones transferred from the island of Dia and the quarry of Fraskia in the gulf of Palaiokastro  were plunged. A small strong spear-shaped mole (sperone), provided with ship-bindings, was created at the northern side. On the NW side a breakwater (porporella) was constructed. The new fortress was called Castellum a Mare (sea-fortress) or Rocca a Mare (rock in the sea).

Строительство большой крепости началось до 1525 года. Поскольку новое здание было намного больше, потребовалось увеличить существующий скалистый фундамент. Для этого были затоплены старые корабли загруженные обломками скал и камнями, перевезёнными с острова Диа и карьера Фраскии в заливе Палеокастро. На северной стороне был создан небольшой крепкий копьевидный мол (сперон), снабжённый креплениями для швартовки кораблей. На северо-западной стороне был сооружен волнорез (porporella). Новая крепость называлась Castellum A Mare (морская крепость) или Rocca A Mare (скала в море).

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion




For the construction a large amount limestone was used, either reused material of the Hellenistic fortifications or from the nearby lime quarries. The construction was completed  by the year 1540, nevertheless it suffered constantly by the sea-weaves, a fact that forced the Venetians to plan successive restorations.

Для строительства использовалось большое количество известняка, это был либо повторно используемый материал эллинистических укреплений, либо из соседних известковых карьеров. Строительство было завершено к 1540 году, однако оно постоянно страдало от морских волн, что заставило венецианцев планировать последовательные реставрации.


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion


After the capture of the city in 1669, Ottomans made alterations to the fortress, which they called “the Fortress of the Water”  (Su Kules); this name prevailed until our days (Kules), its original Venetian name being forgotten. The southern side, which had collapsed due to the canon shots was reconstructed and the original straight parapet of the upper terrace was raised, along with the surrounding corridor, and it was crowned with battlements. At the southern side a mosque with a minaret was constructed. In 1864 the beacon of the fortress was reconstructed by the French Company for the Ottoman Beacons. Several repairs took place during the period of the Cretan State as well as after the unification of the Crete and Greece in 1913.

После захвата города в 1669 году османы внесли изменения в крепость, которую они назвали «Крепостью воды» (Су Кулес); это название сохранилось до наших дней (Kules), его первоначальное Венецианское название было забыто. Южная сторона, обрушившаяся из-за пушечных выстрелов, была реконструирована, а первоначальный прямой парапет верхней террасы поднят вместе с окружающим коридором и увенчан зубцами. С южной стороны была построена мечеть с минаретом. В 1864 году Маяк крепости был реконструирован французской компанией для Османских маяков. Несколько ремонтных работ было проведено в период Критского государства, а также после объединения Крита и Греции в 1913 году.

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion




The sea Fortress, which was called by Venetians Castello a Mare (Sea-Fortress) or Rocca a Mare (sea-Rock) covers area of 3.600 s.m.  Its form is quadrangular with a semi-circular projection to the SE. Its facades present an inclination (scarpa) that varies on each side. The outer walls of the E, W and NE side are 8,7 m. In thickness, while on the N are 6,95 m.

Морская крепость, которую венецианцы называли Кастелло-Маре (Морская крепость) или Рокка-а-Маре (морская скала), занимает площадь 3.600 кв.м. Её форма четырёхугольная с полукруглой проекцией на юго-восток. Её фасады представляют собой откосы (scarpa), которые меняются с каждой стороны. Внешние стены с восточной, западной и северо-восточной  сторон толщиной  8,7 м, а на севере - 6,95 м.


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion


The main entrance is situated on the western façade, at the of the Venetian mole. Over the gate was embedded in 1533 the first of the three emblems of Venice, the lion of St.Marc.  The second emblem was embedded soon after that on the southern side of the building and the third in 1534 on the NE façade.

Главный вход расположен на западном фасаде, на венецианском моле. Над воротами был встроен в 1533 году первый из трёх символов Венеции - лев Сан-Марка. Второй символ был помещена вскоре после этого на южной стороне крепости, а третий - в 1534 году на северо-восточном фасаде.


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion


The barrel-vaulted outer corridor, which leads to the interior, has a wideness of 3.00 m. and it was initially protected by two subsequent wooden doors, as it is the case today. A metal grid, which is not preserved, secured the entrance to the inner corridor, the wideness of which varies between 5.22 and 7.00 m. To the left of the corridor there are the staircase, built in 1539, which leads to the large double water tank of the basement and to the upper terrace, two vaulted chambers and a second water tank. To the right of the corridor there is a narrow emergency exit to the harbor, a series of canon-opening and the ramp for the elevation of the canons to the upper terrace.

Наружный бочкообразный сводчатый коридор, ведущий во внутреннюю часть, имеет ширину 3,00 м. и изначально он был защищён двумя последовательными деревянными дверями, как это выглядит сегодня.  Вход во внутренний коридор, ширина которого колеблется в пределах от 5,22 до 7,00 м, защищался не сохранившейся металлической решёткой. Слева от коридора находится лестница, построенная в 1539 году, которая ведёт к большому двойному водяному резервуару в подвале и к верхней террасе, двум сводчатым камерам и второму резервуару для воды. Справа от коридора находится узкий аварийный выход в гавань, ряд открытых пушечных проёмов и пандус для подъёма пушек на верхнюю террасу.

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion




The main corridor meets another to the North, which leads to its right side into three vaulted chambers, used as a prison cells during the period of the Ottoman occupation. It leads also to a double chamber, situated on its northern end, where the gate for the supply from the galleons was. To the East, the main corridor ended up to the central semicircular projection of the building, where the main chamber of the fortress was situated, provided with canon-opening towards the harbor. An elliptical wall separated this room from two narrower rooms on its northern side.

Главный коридор встречается с другим коридором на севере, который ведёт к правой стороне крепости в три сводчатые камеры, использованных в качестве тюремных камер в период Османской оккупации. Он ведёт также в двойную камеру, расположенную на ее Северном конце, где находились ворота для снабжения галеонов. На востоке главный коридор заканчивался центральным полукруглым выступом крепости, в котором располагалась главная палата крепости, снабжённая пушечным проёмом в сторону гавани. Эллиптическая стена отделяла эту комнату от двух более узких комнат с северной стороны.


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion


All the vaulted chamber of the ground level had a wooden floor held by corbels, perhaps in order to avoid problems of upcoming humidity or rising of the sea-water level through the inner floors. Corbels on a higher level supported probably wooden lofts. Light came in to the ground level only from the vaulted roofs, through skylights. Equal opening where used to supply the inner water tanks with rain water.

Все сводчатые камеры первого этажа имели деревянный пол, удерживаемый кронштейнами, возможно, для того, чтобы избежать проблем с увеличивающейся влажностью или поднятием уровня морской воды через внутренние этажи. Кронштейны на более высоком уровне поддерживали, вероятно, деревянные чердаки. Свет поступал на первый уровень только со сводчатых крыш, через световые люки. Аналогичное отверстие использовалось для сбора дождевой воды во внутренние цистерны.


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion


On the roof of the building there was a large terrace, surrounded by a corridor for the soldiers and the guards, which was protected by parapet distinguished from the inclined walls with a molding (cordone). The canons were situated into sockets. The form of the surrounding corridor ending up in battlements which exists today is an alteration of the Ottoman period. On the upper terrace there were also rooms for the accommodation of the soldiers and the officers, as well as a mill and an oven, depicted on drawings of the 17-th c.

На крыше здания была большая терраса, окружённая коридором для солдат и гвардейцев, которая защищалась парапетом, отличавшимся от наклонных стен лепниной (кордоном). Пушки располагались в гнёздах. Форма окружающего коридора, заканчивающегося зубцами, которая существует сегодня, является модификацией османского периода. На верхней террасе находились также помещения для размещения солдат и офицеров, а также мельница и печь, изображённые на рисунках 17-го века.


Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion

Sea-Fortress. Heraklion